HTML5: The lowdown!
HTML5: Well, what is it? Don’t worry just yet as World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) will not finalise this until 2016. But, I hear you say, HTML5 can be used right now though? Yes, it can. The difference is that it isn’t supported yet, giving you plenty of time to learn the code!
In this post, I’ll be giving you some HTML5 advantages and why you should use it. You may not have realised, but you are probably using a browser with HTML5 compatibility already.
FACTS on HTML5:
Well what can I say, as a brief history, HTML5 was first called Web Applications 1.0 and it was developed in 2004, mostly by employees of Mozilla Foundation, Apple and Opera. They formed a group called Web Hypertext Application Technology Working Group (WHATWG).
• You will no longer need to use third party programmers or any plugins to put up your audio, animation and high quality drawings as they will be embedded within the functionality of the browser. So this will be less time consuming and can help to save money.
• The code will be much cleaner as most DIV Tags will be removed and replaced with new HTML5 Tags.
• Websites will be more consistent: All headings and titles will be static, making it easier for Developers and Designers to understand the structure.
• There will be enhanced Mobile Support.
• The introduction of new Programming Interfaces.
• Web Apps can be created easily.
• You don’t need to install Flash Plugins on HTML5 Websites – much easier from a usability point of view.
Here are some of the proposed HTML5 Tags:
|article||Defines an Article|
|audio||Defines sound content|
|command||Defines a command button|
|details||Defines details of an element|
|embed||Defines external interactive content|
|nav||Defines navigation links|
|source||Defines media resources|
|dialog||Specifies a dialog (Conversation)|
|datagrid||Defines data in a tree list|
|eventsource||Specifies a target for events sent by a server|
We can’t wait to see more creativity and interactivity from HTML5 developers. There are already some fantastic HTML5 websites out there, and we have a feeling that the best is yet to come…